Prakash Pannerselvam is an Assistant Professor with the International Strategic & Security Studies Programme, NIAS. He holds a Ph.D. in Japanese Studies, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU). He was the first Visiting Fellow to Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force (JMSDF) Staff College, Tokyo. He is a recipient of Japan Foundation Fellow (2011) and Okita Memorial Fellowship (2008). Moreover, Prakash was a trained merchant mariner with Poompuhar Shipping Corporation Ltd.
Prior to joining NIAS, he was working with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in Defence & Aerospace Sector. His primary areas of interest are Maritime Security, Indian Ocean Region, East Asia, Indian Defence Production and Acquisition policy. He has also published articles both in the national and international journal.
Panneerselvam, Prakash . 2018. “Maritime Component of China–Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC): India–China Competition in the Arabian Sea”. Maritime Affairs: Journal of the National Maritime Foundation of India: 1-13. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09733159.2017.1412577?tab=permissions&scroll=top.
Panneerselvam, Prakash . 2016. “Advancing India's relationship with Japan and South Korea: Quest for Middle-Power Cooperation”. IPCS Issue Brief (262): 1-15. http://eprints.nias.res.in/1156/.
Panneerselvam, Prakash . 2016. “10 Years of Fighting Pirates in Asia”. The Diplomat. http://thediplomat.com/2016/09/10-years-of-fighting-pirates-in-asia/.
- Contributed as the Panelist, in The 15th Asia-Pacific Naval College Seminar conducted by JMSDF Staff College, Tokyo, Japan from 20th to 24 February 2012; http://www.mod.go.jp/msdf/navcol/seminars/23apncs/eng_23apncs.html
- Not to Kill and Not to Get Killed: Preparing Soldiers for Future Urban-Warfare, International Conference on Advances in Military Psychology: Soldier Preparedness, March 10-12, 2011, Institute of Defence Studies and Analyses Complex. New Delhi, India
- Role of ReCAAP-ISC: In Combatting Piracy and Armed Robbery in Asia, for The Fifth Biennial International Conference of Indian Association for Asia-Pacific Studies, 10-12 December 2010, Sikkim University, Sikkim, India
- Japan’s Strategic Dilemma: Challenges Before JMSDF- The 12th Interim Report Meeting of the Strategic Study Group, 28 May 2012, JMSDF Staff College, Tokyo, Japan,http://www.mod.go.jp/msdf/navcol/SSG/news/2012/eng_0606.html
- "Pakistan’s New Midget Submarine: Emerging Challenge to India in the Arabian Sea", The Diplomat, 29 April 2020
- "Winning a Defence Deal with Armenia: India Walloped Turkey " Diplomatist, 31 March 2020
- "Will Modi's "Make in India" Programme Benefit from Japanese Defence Industry", WIONews, 19 September 2017.