Harini Santhanam an environmental scientist with 6+ years’ experience in studying multiple aspects of natural systems such as biogeochemistry, hydro-geological processes and land-water-human nexus from an ecosystem perspective. She has been a long-term researcher with IISc Bangalore, working in multi-disciplinary teams with a focus on water-related issues. She has a Ph.D in coastal ecosystem modelling and a M.Sc. degree in Environmental Science from Anna University, Chennai. She also has UGC-NET eligibility for Lecturership in Environmental Science. Recently, she has also been the Principal Investigator of a DST-funded Woman Scientists project (2015- 2018) at IISc.Her research interests include the use of integrated modelling approaches for aquatic ecosystem investigations, studying the ecosystem-human nexus over the land-water-air continuum and investigating short-term and long-term changes of lacustrine systems using environmental proxies.
Dhyani, Shalini , Rudrodip Majumdar, and Harini Santhanam. 2021. “Scaling-up Nature-Based Solutions for Mainstreaming Resilience in Indian Cities”. In Ecosystem-Based Disaster and Climate Resilience, Ecosystem-Based Disaster and Climate Resilience, Singapore : Springer , 279-306. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-981-16-4815-1_12.
Santhanam, Harini , and Rudrodip Majumdar. 2020. “Permeable Pavements as Sustainable Nature-Based Solutions for the Management of Urban Lake Ecosystems”. In Nature-based Solutions for Resilient Ecosystems and Societies, Disaster Resilience and Green Growth, Nature-based Solutions for Resilient Ecosystems and Societies, Disaster Resilience and Green Growth, Singapore: Springer, 329-345.
Kundu, Sudip Kumar, Harini Santhanam, and R Srikanth. 2020. “A Technical Assessment of the Use of Current Geospatial Technologies to derive Marine Fishery Advisories in India and the Way Forward”. In 41st Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, ACRS 2020, 41st Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, ACRS 2020, Deqing, China.
Kundu, Sudip Kumar, Harini Santhanam, and R Srikanth. 2020. “Use of Geospatial Technology for Sustainable Development of Small Scale Fisheries in India: Challenges and Way Forward”. In American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2020 (Virtual Meeting), American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2020 (Virtual Meeting), American Geophysical Union.
Ahmed, Aariz , Harini Santhanam, and Srikanth R. 2020. “A Multidisciplinary Framework for Sustainable Water Resources Management-A Case Study of the Almatti-Pennar ILR Scheme”. In XIV World Aqua Congress 2020, Theme: Water and Climate Change, XIV World Aqua Congress 2020, Theme: Water and Climate Change, New Delhi: XIV World Aqua Congress 2020. https://www.worldaquacongress.org/.
Santhanam, Harini , and R Srikanth. 2019. “PIT lakes as sustainable post-closure interventions for open-cast coal mines in the Indian context”. In Aqua Foundation's XIII World Aqua Congress: International Conference and Exhibition, Aqua Foundation's XIII World Aqua Congress: International Conference and Exhibition, New Delhi: Aqua Foundation's XIII World Aqua Congress.
Kundu, Sudip Kumar, and Harini Santhanam. 2021. “A Report on the impacts of cyclone Yaas over a fish landing centre vulnerable to cyclonic storms and natural hazards – Talsari, Northern Odisha”. Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13549839.2021.1964457.
Kundu, Sudip Kumar, and Harini Santhanam. 2021. “All pain and no gain: Factors impacting local and regional sustainability due to COVID-19 pandemic with respect to the Indian marine fisheries”. Current Research in Environmental Sustainability 3: 100086. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2666049021000621.
Santhanam, Harini , Anandasabari Karthikeyan, and Raja M. 2020. “Saturation indices of aqueous mineral phases as proxies of seasonal dynamics of a transitional water ecosystem using a geochemical modeling approach”. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment 7(3). https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40808-020-00910-x.
Chauhan, Chanchal , Aariz Ahmed, Harsh Kamath, Harini Santhanam, and R Srikanth. 2021. DST – NIAS Sustainable Pathways to Energy Utilisation – Volume 2: State of the Environment in the Ramagundam and Dorli-Bellampalli coal mines in the State of Telangana (Research Report No. NIAS/NSE/EEP/U/RR/07/2021). Bangalore: NIAS.
Chauhan, Chanchal , Sameer Mishra, Sujit Swain, Harini Santhanam, and R Srikanth. 2020. Coal Mining and Environment: A Case Study of Dorli Opencast Coal Mines (NIAS/NSE/EEP/U/RR/06/ 2020). Bengaluru: National Institute of Advanced Studies.
- 2019 Presentations on “Blue green ratios of lake environments in Bangalore in relation to their ecological status” Earthwatch-HSBC Sustainability Training Programme (STP), IISc Bangalore, 26th April and 15th May 2019.
- 2018 Presentations of research on ‘Lakes of Bengaluru as drivers of blue-green cityscape’, Sustainability Training Programme (STP),Earthwatch Institute, Mumbai, March 9-13, 2018; May 4-5 2018; August 21, 2018, September 6-7, 2018.
- 2016 Presentation on ‘Calcitic fluxes of Pulicat lagoon as proxies of environmental changes’ DST Woman Scientists (WOS-A) Programme, KIRAN, KSKV Kachchh University, Bhuj, Gujarat, India, December, 2016.
- 2016 Talk on ‘From the known to the unknown: advances in biology that have unravelled the environment’, National Seminar on Recent Trends in Biological Sciences, 19-20th September, 2016.
- 2014 Presented a project proposal on developing calcite fluxes based geochemical proxies of environmental changes at Pulicat lagoon, Southeast India for DST Women Scientists’ Scheme at NGRI, Hyderabad.
- 2011 Presentation on ‘Studies on the use of stable isotopic analysis for the reconstruction of past environmental conditions of Lake Pulicat’, First In-house symposium, Centre for Earth Sciences, IISc Bangalore.
- 2010 Presented project proposal ‘A study of the sedimentary biogeochemical records of environmental changes and their implications to the trophic status of Pulicat lagoon (Southeast India)’ for Post-doctoral fellowship under Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) major project at Centre for Earth sciences, IISc Bangalore.
- 2010 Talk on ‘Coastal Systems and Processes’ for Open Day, IISc Bangalore.
- 2009 Open talk on ‘Biogeochemical modelling of Pulicat lagoon, Southeastern India’ at Centre for Earth Sciences, IISc, Bangalore.
- 2008 Oral presentation on the ‘Application of Fuzzy Indices to determine the trophic status of Pulicat Lagoon, Southeast Coast of India’, Lake-2008, Conservation and Management River and Lake Ecosystems, Centre for Ecological Sciences, IISc Bangalore,
- 2008 Invited lectures on environment and food chemistry for students of Indo-French International Masters Programme at Loyola College, Chennai.
- 2007 Oral presentation on ‘An Interactive Spatial Model of Pulicat Lagoon Using Geographic Information System’ In Proceedings of 12th World Lake Conference, TAAL-2007