With an eclectic mix of disciplines, School of Social Sciences is engaged in activities that include research, teaching, outreach, advocacy and consultancy. The faculty are drawn from sociology and social anthropology, gender studies, educational studies and economics, and have conducted several research-cum-outreach projects in the fields of education, gender, governance and development. Current areas of interest are in forging inter-disciplinary work to understand and address issues in the areas of water and education. Current areas of research include education, migration and transnationalism, organisations, governance, development, urbanisation and economic sociology.
- Conflict Resolution
- Education Programme
- Inequality and Human Development
- RBI Programme on Interdisciplinary Approaches to Economic issues
- Urban and Mobility Studies
Salam, J., 2017. Manipuris and Sharmila Irom. Economic and Political Weekly, 52(12), p.5. Available at: http://www.epw.in/journal/2017/12/letters/manipuris-and-sharmila-irom.html.
NIAS, , 2017. NIAS Wednesday Discussion Report: "Health Inequalities: The Indian Context", NIAS.
Bajar, S., 2017. Locational Mismatch between the Demand for Jobs and the Demand for Skills in India. , WP6-2017. Available at: http://eprints.nias.res.in/1261/.
Ajay, A., 2017. Stepping into another Woman's Shoes: Substitute Women in Families of Female Emigrant Workers. , WP7-2017.
Kurup, A., 2016. Impact of Science and Technology on Women. Available at: http://yojana.gov.in/Recent_archive_English_2016.asp.
Iyer, C.G., 2016. Impact of entrepreneur on the sectoral system of innovation: Case study of the Indian crude oil refining industry. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 102, pp.102 - 111. Available at: http://eprints.nias.res.in/920/.
Arkalgud, R. et al., 2016. India's national higher education policy recommendations since independence: An ontological analysis. Journal of Educational Planning and Administration, 30, pp.5–24. Available at: http://eprints.nias.res.in/1136/.
Kuzhiparambil, A., 2016. A Secondary Informal Circuit of Globalisation of Production: Home-based Cashew Workers in Kerala, India. Global Labour Journal, 7(3), pp.279-296. Available at: https://escarpmentpress.org/globallabour.
Pani, N., 2016. Towards a socially consistent science and technology policy. Current Science, 110(9), pp.1624-1629. Available at: http://eprints.nias.res.in/1079/.
Dixit, S., 2016. Understanding of History among Tribal and Non-Tribal Children and Adults. International Education and Research Journal, 2(10), pp.30-33. Available at: http://ierj.in/journal/index.php/ierj/article/view/487/459.
Upadhya, C., 2016. Engineering equality? Education and im/mobility in coastal Andhra Pradesh, India. Contemporary South Asia, pp.1-15. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09584935.2016.1203863.
The Provincial Globalisation programme explores processes of ‘provincial globalisation’ in India by studying transnational connections between Overseas Indians and their home regions, especially the effects of ‘reverse flows’ of resources, including remittances, philanthropy, investments, and knowledge. Provincial Globalisation is a collaborative international research programme of the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR), University of Amsterdam, and the National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), Bangalore, India, funded by the Integrated Programme of WOTRO Science for Global Development, the Netherlands.
- 6 Jun 2017 First Dadabhai Naoroji Lecture: "Agricultural and Rural Sectors in Indian Economy: Issues Related to Growth and Inequality", by Prof Ramesh Chand, Member, NITI Aayog, JRD Tata Auditorium, NIAS, 1100hrs
- 31 May 2017 NIAS Wednesday Discussion: "Whose Right To Education (RTE) Is It Any Way?" by Malavika Kapur, Lecture Hall, NIAS, 0930 hrs
- 12 May 2017 National Consultation: A One Day National Consultation on "Technological and Social Solutions to Major Drinking Water Challenges facing India", NIAS Water Programme, supported by the DST, GoI.
- 9 May 2017 to 11 May 2017 NIAS Summer Workshop: "Fifth Summer Workshop for Children Under NIAS Gifted Education Programme - Exploring Excellence with Nature, Science and Art"
- 19 Apr 2017 NIAS Wednesday Discussion: "Drought Severity Assessment & its Mapping in the Drier Regions of Karnataka" by Jayasree Vaidyanathan, Lecture Hall, NIAS, 0930 hrs
- 22 Feb 2017 NIAS Wednesday Discussion: “Number Representation: Utility, Aesthetics & Innovation” by Dr Shailaja D Sharma, Lecture Hall, 9.30hrs
- 27 Jan 2017 to 28 Jan 2017 Consultation Meeting : "Women in STEM"
- 24 Jan 2017 to 25 Jan 2017 Seminar : "Contesting Exclusions in Higher Education: Pedagogy, Practices and Politics"
- 17 Jan 2017 NIAS Public Lecture: “The Chaos of Empire and the Spaces for Indian Science and Technology” by Dr. Jon Wilson, 1600 hrs, Lecture Hall, NIAS
- 17 Jan 2017 NIAS Public Lecture, "Politics of Development," by Dr Arun Shourie, 1800 hrs, JRD Tata Auditorium, NIAS