Pursuits of Prof Baldev Raj in basic science and applications with multi and interdisciplinary approaches and teams have found expressions of merit in materials science and technologies, cultural heritage, medical technologies and policies. He has provided unique interpretations and solutions to challenges in energy, water, healthcare, manufacturing and national strategic unsolvables in a large measure, with clear impact, distinctions and awards. He is acclaimed for his contributions to Science and Technology of measurements and Sodium Fast Reactors and Associated Fuel Cycle.
Prof Baldev Raj is known for overcoming the barriers of academic research and industry with acumens of leadership and experiences. His work on non-destructive evaluation, different aspects of materials (welding corrosion, mechanics), nuclear systems science and technology, ferrofluids and sensors has earned for him to be among the national and world leaders by virtue of his 1300 plus publications, 80 plus books, 100 plus articles in encyclopedia and handbooks, technologies, patents, standards, etc.
Prof Baldev Raj has been selected for eminent positions, as evidenced by awards, fellowships of all the four academies of Sciences and Engineering in the country, International Nuclear Energy Academy, Institute of Directors, Indian Academy of Social Sciences, Academy of NDT International, American Society of Metals, German Academy of Science, The World Academy of Sciences etc. etc.. He is Honorary Fellow of International Medical Sciences Academy, Indian Institute of Metals, Indian Society of NDT, Indian Institute of Welding International Committee on NDT etc. With invitations for about 500 plenary, keynote, invited speeches; Chairs and Members of some of the most eminent Committees, Councils and Bodies in the country and more than 30 countries worldwide, he has steered several large high impact collaborative programmes with almost all important countries in the world. His contributions to science policy and science diplomacy are recognized worldwide. He has been honored with Homi Bhabha Gold Medal; H K Firodia Award; Om Prakash Bhasin Award; Vasvik Award, National Metallurgist Award; Lifetime Achievement Award of Indian Nuclear Society, Distinguished Material Scientist Award; Padma Shri; Distinguished Alumni of Indian Institute of Science, among many other distinct honors.
Prof Baldev Raj has a passion for interacting with students and young professionals for mutual inspirations and service to society.
Recent Honours and Distinctions
- Member, Board of Governors, TransDisciplinary University, Bengaluru, May 2017
- Chairman, Committee to Evaluate a Project on Gamma Radiation Plant for Medical Device Reprocessing in Hospitals, DST, GoI, India, May 2017
- Chairman, Committee for Technical/Financial recommendations on Hub proposals under Biomedical Device and Technology Development (BDTD) Programme, Technology Development and Transfer Division, DST, GoI, May 2017
- Chairman, Selection Committee for Selection of Indian Team for participation in 2nd BRICS Young Scientists Conclave to be hosted by China, Ministry of S&T, DST, Delhi
- Member of Indian Ministerial Delegation of the 7th BRICS STI Senior Official Meetings and 5th BRICS STI Ministerial Meeting at Hangzhou China, DST GoI, India, May 2017
- Member and Permanent invitee of the Over Arching Committee for the R&D project on the development of the Advanced Ultra Supercritical technology (AUSC) for thermal power plant, Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, Department of Heavy Industry, Government of India, 11 April 2017
Chaired Review meeting of “Status of Development of Explosive Detection Technologies” organized by Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India on 6th April 2017 at NIAS
Chaired meeting of the Director Selection Committee of Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (AcSIR) at New Delhi on 12 April 2017
Chaired 6th Study Group meeting on “Unmanned Aerial Systems (USA) Technology, Application and Policy” at Vikas Soudha, Bangalore on 13 April 2017
- Chaired Research council meeting of CSIR-Institute of Minerals and Materials Technology (IMMT) at Bhubaneswar on 17 April 2017
- Chaired Review Policy Research Scheme (FY 2017-20) of DST, GoI & prepare an Action Plan and implementation strategies with corrective measures mechanisms & suggested some new initiatives/modalities to be taken for Science Policy in our country, 18 April , 2017 at NIAS
Chaired Review of Technology Development Programme (FY 2019-2020) of the Major Policies/Programs/Schemes/
Projects (including Flagship Schemes) to prepare an Action plan with corrective measures and monitoring mechanisms of the country organized by Technology Development and Transfer Division, DST, Ministry of S&T, Delhi, 18 April 2017 at NIAS