Pursuits of Prof Baldev Raj in basic science and applications with multi and interdisciplinary approaches and teams have found expressions of merit in materials science and technologies, cultural heritage, medical technologies and policies. He has provided unique interpretations and solutions to challenges in energy, water, healthcare, manufacturing and national strategic unsolvables in a large measure, with clear impact, distinctions and awards. He is acclaimed for his contributions to Science and Technology of measurements and Sodium Fast Reactors and Associated Fuel Cycle.
Prof Baldev Raj is known for overcoming the barriers of academic research and industry with acumens of leadership and experiences. His work on non-destructive evaluation, different aspects of materials (welding corrosion, mechanics), nuclear systems science and technology, ferrofluids and sensors has earned for him to be among the national and world leaders by virtue of his 1300 plus publications, 80 plus books, 100 plus articles in encyclopedia and handbooks, technologies, patents, standards, etc.
Prof Baldev Raj has been selected for eminent positions, as evidenced by awards, fellowships of all the four academies of Sciences and Engineering in the country, International Nuclear Energy Academy, Institute of Directors, Indian Academy of Social Sciences, Academy of NDT International, American Society of Metals, German Academy of Science, The World Academy of Sciences etc. etc.. He is Honorary Fellow of International Medical Sciences Academy, Indian Institute of Metals, Indian Society of NDT, Indian Institute of Welding International Committee on NDT etc. With invitations for about 500 plenary, keynote, invited speeches; Chairs and Members of some of the most eminent Committees, Councils and Bodies in the country and more than 30 countries worldwide, he has steered several large high impact collaborative programmes with almost all important countries in the world. His contributions to science policy and science diplomacy are recognized worldwide. He has been honored with Homi Bhabha Gold Medal; H K Firodia Award; Om Prakash Bhasin Award; Vasvik Award, National Metallurgist Award; Lifetime Achievement Award of Indian Nuclear Society, Distinguished Material Scientist Award; Padma Shri; Distinguished Alumni of Indian Institute of Science, among many other distinct honors.
Prof Baldev Raj has a passion for interacting with students and young professionals for mutual inspirations and service to society.
Recent Honours and Distinctions
- Honoured with Gujar Mal Modi Award 2017 for Innovative Science and Technology by Gujar Mal Modi Science Foundation, New Delhi
- Honoured with the degree of “Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa)” in recognition of the outstanding contributions in the field of Science and Technology, Indian Institute of Engineering Science & Technology, Shibpur, Kolkata on 4 March 2017
- Alternate Chairman, Constitution of a Committee to review the compensation package of Chairman, Recruitment and Assessment Board (RAB), Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi , March 2017
- Chancellor & Chairperson of the Board of Governors of the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (ACSIR), CSIR, New Delhi, appointed by Hon’ble Prime Minister of India & President Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Chairman of the Eminent Apex Committee of Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) to recommend transformations and improvements for meeting and enhancing the objectives of CSIR
- Chairman of BRICS- Science &Technology Enterprise Partnership (BRICS-STEP) Working Group for the periods of 4 years, appointed by Department of Science and Technology (DST)
- Chairman of BRICS Experts Panel Committee on International Collaborations relating to Advanced Materials, Nanotechnology, Photonics, Astronomy and Astrophysics
Participation in Meetings
- Chairman, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research CSIR- Recruitment & Assessment Board (RAB) Advisory Group, New Delhi (2017-2019), 7 June 2017
- Member of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) National Committee on Higher Education (2017-18)
- Member, Committee of Life Time Achievement Award and Outstanding Achievement Award of ISRO Awards Scheme, ISRO, June 2 , 2017
- Chairman, Committee for Reviewing the outcome of the Centre for Knowledge Management of Nanoscience & Technology (CKMNT) Phase –I, International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy & New Materials (ARCI), Hyderabad,21 June 2017
- Member, Board of Governors, TransDisciplinary University, Bengaluru, May 2017
- Chairman, Committee to Evaluate a Project on Gamma Radiation Plant for Medical Device Reprocessing in Hospitals, DST, GoI, India, May 2017
- Chairman, Committee for Technical/Financial recommendations on Hub proposals under Biomedical Device and Technology Development (BDTD) Programme, Technology Development and Transfer Division, DST, GoI, May 2017
- Chairman, Selection Committee for Selection of Indian Team for participation in 2nd BRICS Young Scientists Conclave to be hosted by China, Ministry of S&T, DST, Delhi
- Member of Indian Ministerial Delegation of the 7th BRICS STI Senior Official Meetings and 5th BRICS STI Ministerial Meeting at Hangzhou China, DST GoI, India, May 2017
- Member and Permanent invitee of the Over Arching Committee for the R&D project on the development of the Advanced Ultra Supercritical technology (AUSC) for thermal power plant, Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, Department of Heavy Industry, Government of India, 11 April 2017
- Chaired Review meeting of “Status of Development of Explosive Detection Technologies” organized by Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India on 6th April 2017 at NIAS
- Chaired meeting of the Director Selection Committee of Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (AcSIR) at New Delhi on 12 April 2017
- Chaired 6th Study Group meeting on “Unmanned Aerial Systems (USA) Technology, Application and Policy” at Vikas Soudha, Bangalore on 13 April 2017
- Chaired Research council meeting of CSIR-Institute of Minerals and Materials Technology (IMMT) at Bhubaneswar on 17 April 2017
- Chaired Review Policy Research Scheme (FY 2017-20) of DST, GoI & prepare an Action Plan and implementation strategies with corrective measures mechanisms & suggested some new initiatives/modalities to be taken for Science Policy in our country, 18 April , 2017 at NIAS
- Chaired Review of Technology Development Programme (FY 2019-2020) of the Major Policies/Programs/Schemes/ Projects (including Flagship Schemes) to prepare an Action plan with corrective measures and monitoring mechanisms of the country organized by Technology Development and Transfer Division, DST, Ministry of S&T, Delhi, 18 April 2017 at NIAS
- Attended as Member; Second Meeting of the Over-Arching Committee of R&D Project for Development of Advanced Ultra Super-Critical (AUSC) Technology for Thermal Power Plants in India under the Chairmanship of the Principal Scientific Adviser, Government of India, Delhi, 3 May 2017
- Chaired NIAS Annual Academic Review Meeting, 4-5 May 2017
- Attended as a Member; Review of International Division Schemes of Department of Science and Technology at JNCASR, 8 May 2017
- Chaired Meeting of the “Indigenization of the various kinds of Steels being used in the Power Sector” organized by Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India, NIAS,11 May 2017
- Chaired Director Selection Committee meeting of Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (AcSIR), New Delhi, 15 May 2017
- Attended as Member; Council of Management meeting of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), 16 May 2017
- Attended as Member; Meeting of the Outcome Review of National Laboratories Scheme of CSIR at CSIR Science Centre, New Delhi, 18 May 2017
- Attended as Member, Brainstorming meeting on “Emerging scenario for Nano-Electronics” under Chairmanship of Dr R Chidambaram, PSA to GoI to take into view, the opinion of experts and stakeholders for the next phase of R & D efforts, including the maintenance of the excellence already achieved, industry interaction and develop a road-map in this important field, 23 May 2017
- Chaired, Review Committee of CSIR Projects under Energy, Environment and Advanced Materials at CSIR Science Centre, Delhi, 24 May 2017
- Attend as Member, Council of Management, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata at Delhi office, 25May 2017
- Attended as a Member, 31st Meeting of the Expert Advisory Committee, ONGC Energy Centre, 26 May 2017
Karthik, V. , K.V. Kasiviswanathan, and Baldev Raj. 2017. Advanced Materials Science and Technology Miniaturized Testing of Engineering Materials. New York: CRC-Press, Taylor and Francis Group. https://www.crcpress.com/Miniaturized-Testing-of-Engineering-Materials/Karthik-Kasiviswanathan-Raj/p/book/9781482263916.
Raj, Baldev , Marcel Van de Voorde, and Yashwant Mahajan. 2017. Nanotechnology Innovation and Applications Nanotechnology for Energy Sustainability (3 Vol set). Wiley-VCH. http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-3527340149.html.
Raj, Baldev , and Kamachi U Mudali. 2017. Sensor Science and Technology. New Delhi: Narosa Publishers Ltd. http://www.narosa.com/books_display.asp?catgcode=978-81-8487-418-1.
Tiwari, Atul , and Baldev Raj. 2015. Reactions and Mechanisms in Thermal Analysis of Advanced Materials. Wiley Publishers. http://eprints.nias.res.in/906/.
Raj, Baldev , C Rajagopalan, and CV Sundaram. 2000. Where gods come alive: A monograph on the bronze icons of south India. New Delhi: Vigyan Prasar. http://eprints.nias.res.in/39/.
Raj, Baldev , Kamachi U Mudali, John Philip, and Sitaram Dash. 2010. “Nanotechnology in energy technology”. In The Nano-Micro interface: Bridging the micro and nano worlds, The Nano-Micro interface: Bridging the micro and nano worlds, Marcel Van de Van de Voorde, Werner, Matthias , and Fecht, Hans-Jörg . Wiley, 383–404. http://eprints.nias.res.in/790/.
Rao, Mukund , KR Sridhara Murthi, and Baldev Raj. 2016. “Future Indian Space-Perspectives of Game Changers, (IAC-16.E3.3.12)”. In 67th International Astronautical Congress (IAC), 67th International Astronautical Congress (IAC), Guadalajara, Mexico. https://iafastro.directory/iac/paper/id/34914/summary/.
Nagai, Yuichiro , Mukund Rao, Hideaki Shiroyama, KR Sridhara Murthi, Motoko Uchitomi, and Baldev Raj. 2015. “Policy Analysis: Space Programmes of Japan And India”. In 66th International Astronautical Congress, Jerusalem, Israel, 66th International Astronautical Congress, Jerusalem, Israel, , 1–14. http://eprints.nias.res.in/888/.
Rao, Mukund , KR Sridhara Murthi, and Baldev Raj. 2015. “Indian Space – Towards A “National Eco-System” For Future Space Activities”. In 66th International Astronautical Congress, Jerusalem, Israel, 66th International Astronautical Congress, Jerusalem, Israel, , 1–10. http://eprints.nias.res.in/887/.
Rao, Mukund , KR Sridhara Murthi, and Baldev Raj. 2015. “Future Indian (New) Space - Contours of a National Space Policy That Positions A New Public-Private Regime”. In 3rd Manfred Lachs International Conference on NewSpace Commercialisation and the Law, 3rd Manfred Lachs International Conference on NewSpace Commercialisation and the Law, , 1–8. http://eprints.nias.res.in/903/.
Sutha, S , R TRajendra Kumar, Baldev Raj, and R Ravi. 2017. “Ultrasonic-assisted fabrication of superhydrophobic ZnO nanowall films”. Bulletin of Materials Science 40(3): 505-511. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12034-017-1385-1.
Senthil, Sutha , K R Ravi, P Biji, and Baldev Raj. 2017. “Self-Cleaning Coating for Solar Panel Applications”. The Masterbuilder 19(3): 72-76.
Delanthabettu, S , M Menaka, B Venkatraman, and Baldev Raj. 2015. “Defect depth quantification using lock-in thermography”. Quantitative InfraRed Thermography Journal 12: 37–52. http://eprints.nias.res.in/730/.
Sarwat, Syed Ghazi, M Ramya, Prince Sabahut Ali, Baldev Raj, and KR Ravi. 2015. “A new thermodynamic parameter GCE for identification of glass forming compositions”. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 627: 337–343. http://eprints.nias.res.in/665/.
Natarajan, R , and Baldev Raj. 2015. “Technology development of fast reactor fuel reprocessing in India”. Current Science 108: 30–38. http://eprints.nias.res.in/736/.
Sinha, NK , and Baldev Raj. 2014. “Leakage limits for inflatable seals of sodium cooled fast breeder reactor”. Nuclear Engineering and Design 266: 194–198. http://eprints.nias.res.in/744/.
Stork, Derek , Pietro Agostini, Jean-Louis Boutard, Derek Buckthorpe, Eberhard Diegele, Sergei L Dudarev, Colin English, Gianfranco Federici, Mark R Gilbert, Sehila Gonzalez, Angel Ibarra, Christian Linsmeier, Antonella Li Puma, Gabriel Marbach, Lee W Packer, Baldev Raj, Michael Rieth, Min Quang Tran, David J Ward, and Steven J Zinkle. 2014. “Materials R&D for a timely DEMO: Key findings and recommendationsof the EU Roadmap Materials Assessment Group”. Fusion Engineering and Design 89: 1586–1594. http://eprints.nias.res.in/671/.
Raj, Baldev , Wilfried Aulbur, Mahesh Kodumudi, Rajabahadur V Arcot, K Jayaraman, and Arvind Goel. 2014. “The next growth story: Experts predict 2015 entails for Indian manufacturers”. Manufacturing Today 4: 48–52. http://eprints.nias.res.in/642/.
Srikanth, R , and Baldev Raj. 2016. “Industrial smoke levels are rising rapidly. Does India have a combat plan?”. The Indian Economist.
Srikanth, R , and Baldev Raj. 2016. “Coal can choke your breath or light your house. What will India choose?”. The Indian Economist.
Goswami, P. , and Baldev Raj. 2016. BRICS Science and Technology Enterprise Partnership: Bold, Responsive, Inclusive and Cohesive Solutions for Rapid Transformations. Bangalore: NIAS.
Binoy, VV , Chidambaran G Iyer, Lalith Mohan Patnaik, and Baldev Raj. 2016. NIAS Report Science, technology and Indian society: An anthology of perspectives. Bangalore: NIAS. http://eprints.nias.res.in/1129/.
Kadusrinivas Rao, Mukund , VS Ramamurthy, and Baldev Raj. 2015. Standards, Spatial Framework and Technologies for National GIS. Bangalore: National Institute of Advanced Studies. http://eprints.nias.res.in/748/.
- Plenary Talk at the Two-Day Symposium on 11th National Frontiers of Engineering (NatFOE) at Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay, Mumbai, 30 June 2017 on Challenges and Opportunities for Energy Sustainability in India
- Address at 'Science Comm' 17 India: Simplifying Science for All", organized by SWISSNEX-India, Consulate General of Switzerland and NIAS on 30 June 2017
- Round table meeting of “Role of Space in India’s Foreign Policy”, organized by NIAS, Indian Research Space Organisation (ISRO) and the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), NIAS, 1May 2017
- NIAS-DST National consultation meeting of “Social Technological Solutions for Major Water Challenges Facing India”, NIAS, 8 May 2017
- First Consultation Meeting on Archaeoastronomy, NIAS, 12 May 2017
- Valedictory Address at the National Welding Meet & Weld Tech Expo-2017 at MS Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore organized by The Indian Institute of Welding-Bangalore Branch on 13 May 2017
- Talent Search Program Workshop: Mentoring to Accelerate Individual Youth Achievement in Promoting Development of India’s Gifted Young. Organized by NIAS & Maiya Pradigy, NIAS, 19 May 2017
- Book Release Function “Decision Making and Modelling in Cognitive Science by Sisir Roy”, 30 May 2017
- Delivered a Perspective Address at the Inclusive Manufacturing Forum- 2017 organized by BRICS, Dept. of S&T, GoI, Indian Institute of Science, NIAS, Cranefield University, UK at National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bengaluru, 6 April 2017
- Delivered talk on “Quality for Inclusive Manufacturing” at the Inclusive Manufacturing Forum- 2017 organized by BRICS, Dept. of S&T, GoI, Indian Institute of Science, NIAS, Cranefield University, UK at National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bengaluru, 6 April 2017
Delivered a talk at the Two-Week NIAS-DST Training Programme on “Science Policy and General Management: Energy Security and Sustainable Development at NIAS, Bangalore, 6th February 2017
Title: Energy Foresights, Security and Sustainability
Delivered inaugural keynote address at the International Congress on Education and Public Welfare (ICEPW-2017) at Sathyabama University, Chennai, 9 February 2017
Title: Education, Science, Innovation and Technology: Policies for Wellbeing of India
Participated in the Panel and delivered a talk at the Discussion meeting on “Energy Transitions: The Global Challenges & Opportunities” at Jacaranda Hall, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, Organized by The Energy and Resources Institute(TERI) and Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), 13 February 2017
Title: Global Energy Transition
- Presentation to H.E. Sir Dominic Asquith KCMG, British High Commissioner about NIAS Accomplishments, 15 February 2017
- Chaired National Material Policy for Strategic & Critical Materials Committee meeting on 11 February 2016 at NIAS for to finalize implementation report to be submitted to Ministry of Defence, Government of India, Delhi
- Participated in the Council Meeting of Indian Statistical Institute of Kolkata, 18th February 2017 as Representative of Indian National Science Academy (INSA) at Kolkata
- Chaired Programme Advisory Committee (PAC) in the area of Materials & Engineering Sciences organized by Department of Science & Technology, Ministry of Science & Technology, GOI on 20th February 2017 at New Delhi
- Participated in the National Workshop on Indian Science & Technology Enterpreneurship Partnership (ISTEP)at New Delhi during 22-23 February 2017, organized by CSIR-National Institute of Science, Technology and Development Studies (NISTADS) & National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS)
- Chaired 151st Meeting of the National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) Prize Award Committee at National Research Development Corporation (NRDC), New Delhi during 24-25 February 2016
Prof. Baldev Raj has delivered a number of Lectures. The detailed list of lectures are available here.