Srikumar M. Menon
Menon, Srikumar M. 2021. “Flux and continuity in monument-building traditions in south India”. In Rituals, collapse, and radical transformation in archaic states, Rituals, collapse, and radical transformation in archaic states, Routledge, 161-184. https://www.routledge.com/Rituals-Collapse-and-Radical-Transformation-in-Archaic-States/Murphy/p/book/9780367230265.
Menon, Srikumar M. 2019. “Variants on a Theme: A Comparison of Five Dolmens of the “Hire Benakal Type”. In The Archaeology of Burials: Examples from Indian Subcontinent, The Archaeology of Burials: Examples from Indian Subcontinent, New Delhi: New Bharatiya Book Corporation, 361-395. http://eprints.nias.res.in/1857.
Apoorva, G , and Srikumar M Menon. 2019. “In search of a mythical artisan: Tracking the Jakanachari legend of Karnataka”. In Human and Heritage: An Archaeological Spectrum of Asiatic Countries, Human and Heritage: An Archaeological Spectrum of Asiatic Countries, New Delhi: New Bharatiya Book Corporation, 497-524. http://eprints.nias.res.in/1858/.
Menon, Srikumar M. 2018. “Megaliths: New perspectives for future studies”. In Beyond stones and more stones, Beyond stones and more stones, Bengaluru: Mythic Society, 208-256.
Menon, Srikumar M. 2018. “From megaliths to temples: Astronomy in the lithic record of South India”. 9th International Conference on Oriental Astronomy Growth and Development of Astronomy and Astrophysics in India and the Asia-Pacific Region: 241‒258.
Menon, Srikumar M. 2019. “Protohistoric Megaliths or Graves of Chalukyan Artisans: New Discovery of a Megalithic Site near Pattadakal”. Heritage: Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies in Archaeology, 7: 135-158. http://eprints.nias.res.in/1856.
Gupta, Ekta , Rajani MB, and Srikumar M Menon. 2019. “Remote Sensing Investigation of the Buddhist Archaeological Landscape Around Sannati, India.”. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 25(June 2019): 294-307. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352409X18303997.
Komandur, Kadambari , and Srikumar M Menon. 2018. “Finishing the Unfinished: Conjectural Restoration of the Open Mantapas at Badami”. Heritage: Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies in Archaeology 6: 344‐396. http://www.heritageuniversityofkerala.com/.
Menon, Srikumar M, and Shrinivas V Padigar. 2018. “Prehistoric Painted Rock Shelter or Chalukyan Workshop? New Discovery of a Rock Art Site near Aihole and Its Examination in Context”. Heritage: Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies in Archaeology 6: 529‐554. http://www.heritageuniversityofkerala.com/.
Kuppa, Meghana , and Srikumar M Menon. 2018. “Stories from Silent Stones: on the Shape of Wedge Marks as a Diagnostic of Stone‐Craft of Different Periods”. Heritage: Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies in Archaeology 6: 438‐486. http://www.heritageuniversityofkerala.com/.
Menon, Srikumar M. 2017. “Temples of Memory: the Bhutnath Temple Environs at Badami as a Commemorative Landscape”. Heritage: Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies in Archaeology, 5: 576-605.
Menon, Srikumar M. 2016. “The “Round Mound” and its Structural Requirements: A Possible Scenario for the Evolution of the Form of the Stupa”. Heritage: Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies in Archaeology 4: 26-46. http://www.heritageuniversityofkerala.com/pdf.js/web/viewer.html?file=/JournalPDF/Volume4/3.pdf.
Pani, Narendar , Tarun Menon, Nithin Nagaraj, Kanitkar Tejal, and Srikumar M Menon. 2020. Towards an Institutional Strategy for the Study of Sustainability (NIAS/U/RR/09/2020). Bengaluru : NIAS.
Planning to offer the course "Indian Prehistory and History through Monument-building Traditions" in the coming semester
Co-ordinating the inter-disciplinary study of the musical pillars at the Vitthala Temple, Hampi, spearheaded by NIAS.
"The Uttarakhand Disaster of June 2013: a survivor’s account" (NIAS Wednesday Talk, May 04, 2016)
I write regularly for newspapers, magazines and websites on topics related to heritage - natural and built. I have authored two books - "Ancient Stone Riddles: Megaliths of the Indian Subcontinent" (2012) and "Comets: Nomads of the Solar System" (2013), both published by Manipal University Press. I am co-author of the book "Perspectives on Early Astronomy in Indian Context" published by the National Council of Science Museums in 2015.
My recent popular articles are outlined below:
- "Jakanachari: An artisan or a collective genius?", Deccan Herald, 18 July 2020
- "Stones Slanted Towards Science", Deccan Herald, 22 November 2019
- "The Stunner at Somanathapura", Deccan Herald, 19 October 2019
- "The Transient Cascade of Badami" Deccan Herald, 8 June 2019
- "Ingenuity, Carved in Stone",Deccan Herald, 17 March 2019
- Badami: A Treasure Trove of Temple Architecture, Travel and Flavors, November 2013.
- Badami: An Ode to Sandstone, photo feature in Indian Architect and Builder, Nov. 2014.
- Origins of Monumental Architecture, Souvenir of Association of Architects, Bareilly, December 2014.
- Ancient Landscapes of the Malaprabha Valley, Architecture Update, January 2015.
- When Men and Mountains Meet (A survivor’s account of the Uttarakhand disaster of June 2013), The Outdoor Journal, Summer (April-June) 2015.
- The Earliest Monuments, FWD Magazine, Issue 10, Volume 4, September 2015.
- A Peek into Sculptors’ World: The Architects of Pattadakallu, Deccan Herald Spectrum, 24 November 2015.
- Ancient Graveyard: Exploring Moryar Gudda in Karnataka – Stone Megaliths of the Iron Age in One of India’s Largest Necropolises, National Geographic Traveller (Website), 27 January 2016.
- Stone Wonders of Nilaskal: Megaliths and Mysteries, Deccan Herald Spectrum, 09 February 2016.
- The Powerful Pachyderm, Deccan Herald Spectrum, 05 April, 2016.
- The Land of Forgotten Temples, Deccan Herald Spectrum, 10 May, 2016.