Nithin Nagaraj's research interests include Integrated Information theory of Consciousness, modeling transmission of information in brain, and complexity analysis of brain networks. Recently, we have developed a mathematical model to explain neural signal multiplexing in the brain via a signal processing paradigm known as Compressed Sensing. Another line of ongoing research is exploring the complexity measure known as "Effort-To-Compress" which he jointly developed along with his PhD student Karthi (Amrita University) and his colleague Sutirth (IISER, Pune). This measure is effective in characterizing complexity of short and noisy time series, and has been shown to perform at par or better than other popular complexity measures such as Lempel-Ziv Complexity and Approximate Entropy measure, for several applications such as - characterizing neuronal firing modes, cardiac aging detection, Intra-Cranial Hypertension detection, genome data analysis and language scripts classification. He is currently interested in theoretical and experimental investigation of integrated information and complexity of brain networks.
Nagaraj, Nithin , and Karthi Balasubramanian. 2017. “Measuring Complexity of Chaotic Systems with Cybernetics Applications”. In Handbook of Research on Applied Cybernetics and Systems Science, Handbook of Research on Applied Cybernetics and Systems Science, IGI Global Information Science Reference, 301-334. http://www.igi-global.com/book/handbook-research-applied-cybernetics-systems/176081.
Vaidya, Prabhakar G, and Nithin Nagaraj. 2006. “Foundational issues of Chaos and Randomness: "God or Devil, do we have a Choice?"”. In Proceedings of Foundations of Sciences, Proceedings of Foundations of Sciences, BV Sreekantan. New Delhi: Project of History of Indian Science, Philosophy and Culture (PHISPC), 1–17. http://eprints.nias.res.in/91/.
Nagaraj, Nithin , and Karthi Balasubramanian. 2017. “Three perspectives on complexity: entropy, compression, subsymmetry”. The European Physical Journal Special Topics 226(15): 3251-3272. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1140/epjst/e2016-60347-2.
Balasubramanian, Karthi , Harikumar K, Nithin Nagaraj, and Sandipan Pati. 2017. “Vagus Nerve Stimulation Modulates Complexity of Heart Rate Variability Differently during Sleep and Wakefulness”. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology 20(4): 403-407. http://www.annalsofian.org/temp/AnnIndianAcadNeurol204403-2598627_004318.pdf.
Nagaraj, Nithin , and Karthi Balasubramanian. 2017. “Dynamical complexity of short and noisy time series: Compression-Complexity vs. Shannon entropy”. The European Physical Journal Special Topics. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1140%2Fepjst%2Fe2016-60397-x.
Balasubramanian, Karthi , and Nithin Nagaraj. 2016. “Aging and cardiovascular complexity: effect of the length of RR tachograms”. PeerJ 4(e275). https://peerj.com/articles/2755.pdf.
Vaidya, Prabhakar G, Sajini Anand PS, and Nithin Nagaraj. 2010. “A nonlinear generalization of singular value decomposition and its application to mathematical modeling and chaotic cryptoanalysis”. Acta Applicandae Mathematicae 112: 205–221. http://eprints.nias.res.in/248/.
Nagaraj, Nithin , and Prabhakar G Vaidya. 2009. “Multiplexing of discrete chaotic signals in presence of noise”. Chaos 19: 033102–1-033102-9. http://eprints.nias.res.in/401/.
Nagaraj, Nithin , Mahesh C Shastry, and Prabhakar G Vaidya. 2008. “Increasing Average period lengths by switching of Robust Chaos Maps in Finite Precision”. European Physical Journal 165: 73–83. http://eprints.nias.res.in/89/.
Nagaraj, Nithin . 2008. “Novel applications of chaos theory to coding and cryptography”. NIAS. http://eprints.nias.res.in/132/.
- MA 607 Probability Theory and Linear Algebra (Jan-May'13, MTech VLSI)
- VL603 Digital Signal Processing and Processors (Jan-May'12, S2 MTech VLSI)
- EC 426 Wavelet based signal processing and applications (July-Dec'10,S7 ECE - elective)
- EC 431 Wavelet based signal processing and applications (July-Dec'12, S7 ECE - elective)
- VL 713 Wavelets and Applications (July-Dec'12, S3 MTech VLSI elective)
- WN 602 Digital Signal Processing (July-Dec'10, S1 MTech WNA)
- EC 304 Information Theory and Coding Techniques (Jan-May'10, Jan-May'12, S6 BTech ECE)
- VL713 Cryptography (Jan-May'10, S2 MTech VLSI - Elective)
- EC 203 Signals and Systems (July-Dec'09, S3 BTech ECE)
- EC 603 Digital Signal Processing (July-Dec'09, S1 MTech VLSI Design & S1 WNA)
- VL713: Cryptography (Jan'09 - May'09, S2 MTech VLSI - Elective)
- MTH-332: An Introduction to Cryptography (Aug'08 - Dec'08, @IISER, Pune)
- Uncertainty, Undecidability, Unpredictability: The Limtis of Computing, Thinking and Knowing, NIAS Wednesday Discussion, April 20, 2016.
- Research Activities at Consciousness Studies Programme at NIAS, S-VYASA, November 5, 2015.
- From Fourier to Wavelets and Beyond, a workshop delivered at IEEE Symposium on Education, Technology and Entrepreneurship (ISEE), IEEE Student Branch, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri Campus, Kollam, August 8-9, 2015.
- y=Ax, The Singular Value Decomposition, Introduction to Compressed Sensing and Applications, M S Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bengaluru, May 27, 2015.
- Uncertainty, Undecidability, Unpredictability: The Limits of Science, Logic and Computation, PES Institute of Technology (PESIT), Bengaluru, April 24, 2015.
- A Gentle Introduction to Chaos, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore, April 13, 2013.
- Chaos - and its applications to Communications and Computing, Invited Talk, National Conference on Advanced Computing and Communications (NCACC 2013), Sree Buddha College of Engineering, Pattoor, Kerala, March 22, 2013.
- When Information Meets Chaos: Applications of Symbolic Dynamics, Invited Talk, Mini-Symposia on Time Series Analysis and Fractals, National Conference on Nonlinear Systems and Dynamics (NCNSD 2012), IISER Pune, 14 July, 2012.
- The Art and Science of Cryptography, Break-the-Code Challenge and How to Read/Write a Research Paper, Sree Buddha College of Engineering, Pattoor, Kerala, May 16, 2012.
- Foundational Ideas of Mathematics, as a part of Foundation Course for 1st Year PhD students, National Institute of Advanced Studies, IISc. Campus, Bangalore, November 7-8, 2011.
- The Art and Science of Cryptography & Break-the-Code Challenge, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore, September 29, 2011.
- Compressed Sensing: An Introduction, Samsung India Software Operations (SISO), Bangalore, June 24, 2011.
- Appreciation of Mathematics for Engineers, a set of 7 lectures to a few highly motivated students of S7 ECE, Amritapuri, June 8 - 11, 2011.
- Chaos in 1-Dimensional Maps, GE Global Research Center, John F. Welch Technology Center, Bangalore, May 19, 2011.
- Chaos and Cryptography, A short course offered (jointly with Prof. Prabhakar G. Vaidya (NIAS)) at the invitation of Department of Mathematics, University of Sains Malaysia (USM), Penang, Malaysia, April 13-15, 2011.
- An Introduction to Compressed Sensing, Dept. of Electronics and Comm. Engg., National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK), Surathkal, March 23, 2011.
- An Introduction to Compressed Sensing, Tutorial Session, IEEE LINK Face2Face Meet ECLECTIC'11, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri Campus, Amritapuri, March 6, 2011.
- Excursions into Mathematics: Some Beautiful Ideas, as a part of Foundation Course for 1st Year PhD students, National Institute of Advanced Studies, IISc. Campus, Bangalore, November 11-12, 2010.
- The Fascinating World of Cryptography, Sree Buddha College of Engineering, Pattoor, Kerala, August 18, 2010.
- The Art and Science of Cryptography, lectures to class 9-11 kids, Rishi Valley School, July 31, 2010.
- From Teaching to Research and Back, Faculty Development Program, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri, July 12, 2010. (this talk was presented jointly with Br. Jayaraj Poroor of Amrita Research Labs)
- Chaos, Randomness & Cryptography, Prajnaamrita Lecture Series, Poornaprajna Institute of Scientific Research, Bangalore, June 17, 2010.
- Chaos and Communications, Prajnaamrita Lecture Series, Poornaprajna Institute of Scientific Research, Bangalore, June 14, 2010.
- The Singular Value Decomposition and its Applications, Faculty Development Programme, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Amrita School of Engineering, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri, Kerala, Dec 31, 2009.
- Introduction to Fourier Representations, Faculty Development Programme, Dept. of Electronics and Communications Engg., Amrita School of Engineering, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri, Kerala, Dec 28, 2009.
- A Brief History of Cryptography, AICTE sponsored National Seminar-Quantum Crptography, College of Engineering Perumon, Kollam, November 20, 2009.
- The Art and Science of Cryptography: From Ancient to Modern Ciphers, LNMIIT, Jaipur, August 29, 2009.
- Does God Really Need to Play Dice? - On Randomness, Chaos & Cryptography, LNMIIT, Jaipur, August 29, 2009.
- How to Read a Research Paper, paper reading session (the paper that was chosen was Shamir's 1979 classic paper - "How to Share a Secret"), Dept. of Computer Science, Amrita School of Engineering, Amritapuri Campus, Kollam, 2009.
- Introduction to Information and Coding Theory, Faculty Development Program, Dept. of Electronics and Communications, Amrita School of Engineering, Amritapuri Campus, Kollam, Jan 24-26, 2009.
- Novel Applications of Chaos Theory to Coding and Cryptography, National Institute of Advanced Studies, IISc. Campus, May 22, 2009.
- The Unreasonable Effectiveness of the Tent Map and its Cousins in Applications to Communications IITM, Chennai, June 5, 2008.
- The Unreasonable Effectiveness of the Tent Map, Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc.), Chennai, June 17, 2008.
- From Huffman to Arithmetic Coding & Beyond: A Dynamical System Approach to Source Coding, Department of Mathematics, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK, September 27, 2007.
- A Dynamical Systems Approach to Source Coding and Encryption, ECE Dept., Indian Institute of Science, March 15, 2007.
- Medical Image Compression, Advances in Signal Compression Technology, ISTE-AICTE short term training programme, National Institute of Technology Calicut, Calicut, 06-17 January 2003.
- Guest Speaker, Conference on Intellectual Property Rights, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, December 2001.