Harini Santhanam an environmental scientist with 6+ years’ experience in studying multiple aspects of natural systems such as biogeochemistry, hydro-geological processes and land-water-human nexus from an ecosystem perspective. She has been a long-term researcher with IISc Bangalore, working in multi-disciplinary teams with a focus on water-related issues. She has a Ph.D in coastal ecosystem modelling and a M.Sc. degree in Environmental Science from Anna University, Chennai. She also has UGC-NET eligibility for Lecturership in Environmental Science. Recently, she has also been the Principal Investigator of a DST-funded Woman Scientists project (2015- 2018) at IISc.Her research interests include the use of integrated modelling approaches for aquatic ecosystem investigations, studying the ecosystem-human nexus over the land-water-air continuum and investigating short-term and long-term changes of lacustrine systems using environmental proxies.
Santhanam, Harini , and R Srikanth. 2019. “PIT lakes as sustainable post-closure interventions for open-cast coal mines in the Indian context”. In Aqua Foundation's XIII World Aqua Congress: International Conference and Exhibition, Aqua Foundation's XIII World Aqua Congress: International Conference and Exhibition, New Delhi: Aqua Foundation's XIII World Aqua Congress.
Chauhan, Chanchal , Sameer Mishra, Sujit Swain, Harini Santhanam, and R Srikanth. 2020. Coal Mining and Environment: A Case Study of Dorli Opencast Coal Mines (NIAS/NSE/EEP/U/RR/06/ 2020). Bengaluru: National Institute of Advanced Studies.
- 2019 Presentations on “Blue green ratios of lake environments in Bangalore in relation to their ecological status” Earthwatch-HSBC Sustainability Training Programme (STP), IISc Bangalore, 26th April and 15th May 2019.
- 2018 Presentations of research on ‘Lakes of Bengaluru as drivers of blue-green cityscape’, Sustainability Training Programme (STP),Earthwatch Institute, Mumbai, March 9-13, 2018; May 4-5 2018; August 21, 2018, September 6-7, 2018.
- 2016 Presentation on ‘Calcitic fluxes of Pulicat lagoon as proxies of environmental changes’ DST Woman Scientists (WOS-A) Programme, KIRAN, KSKV Kachchh University, Bhuj, Gujarat, India, December, 2016.
- 2016 Talk on ‘From the known to the unknown: advances in biology that have unravelled the environment’, National Seminar on Recent Trends in Biological Sciences, 19-20th September, 2016.
- 2014 Presented a project proposal on developing calcite fluxes based geochemical proxies of environmental changes at Pulicat lagoon, Southeast India for DST Women Scientists’ Scheme at NGRI, Hyderabad.
- 2011 Presentation on ‘Studies on the use of stable isotopic analysis for the reconstruction of past environmental conditions of Lake Pulicat’, First In-house symposium, Centre for Earth Sciences, IISc Bangalore.
- 2010 Presented project proposal ‘A study of the sedimentary biogeochemical records of environmental changes and their implications to the trophic status of Pulicat lagoon (Southeast India)’ for Post-doctoral fellowship under Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) major project at Centre for Earth sciences, IISc Bangalore.
- 2010 Talk on ‘Coastal Systems and Processes’ for Open Day, IISc Bangalore.
- 2009 Open talk on ‘Biogeochemical modelling of Pulicat lagoon, Southeastern India’ at Centre for Earth Sciences, IISc, Bangalore.
- 2008 Oral presentation on the ‘Application of Fuzzy Indices to determine the trophic status of Pulicat Lagoon, Southeast Coast of India’, Lake-2008, Conservation and Management River and Lake Ecosystems, Centre for Ecological Sciences, IISc Bangalore,
- 2008 Invited lectures on environment and food chemistry for students of Indo-French International Masters Programme at Loyola College, Chennai.
- 2007 Oral presentation on ‘An Interactive Spatial Model of Pulicat Lagoon Using Geographic Information System’ In Proceedings of 12th World Lake Conference, TAAL-2007