Amit Mukherjee is an Assistant Professor in the International Strategic Security Studies Program at the School of Conflict and Security Studies in National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore. His work involves use of GIS and Remote Sensing systems for national and international strategic security. His areas of research interest include homeland security, counter insurgency, terrorism studies, maritime security, weapons and warfare, military affairs and strategy, border security, and India-Israel Security Cooperation, among others.
He has a PhD on, “Application of GIS for India’s Defence: To assess battlefield conditions and its effects on weapons and weapon systems”. Apart from this, he has a Masters in Computer Science, and has received training in technical specializations at various institutes including NRSC Hyderabad, India.
He was previously a PBC-Post Doctoral Fellow at National Security Studies Center, University of Haifa, Israel, from 2013-2016, where he is a (Honorary) Research Fellow. He was actively involved in overseeing research related academic work with several International Students in the research group of the center. He has received several letters of commendation for meritorious work and research contributions from various institutions that include University of Allahabad, University of Haifa and Israel–Asia Chamber of Commerce.
Mukherjee, Amit . 2018. “International Cooperation in Space Technology: an Abstraction with Fuzzy Logic Analysis”. ISPRS Annals of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences 4(5): 13-19. https://www.isprs-ann-photogramm-remote-sens-spatial-inf-sci.net/IV-5/13/2018/.
Mukherjee, Amit . 2017. “Comparative Classification Techniques in Geo-spatial Analysis: Defence Application (appeared in 2019)”. Geographical Analysis of Union Geographic Information Technologists 6(2). http://ugit.net/publication_fsjoaj3qdho/geographical-analysis_su-zbsigk49/.
International and National Conferences as Speaker:
1. “Role of GIS in RMA”, National Seminar on “Contemporary Challenge to India’s National Security”, 30th May 2017, Department of Defence & Strategic Studies, University of Pune.
2. “Artificial intelligence transforming defense and security operations”, Geospatial world forum 2017: geospatial + deep learning: shaping smarter world 24 January 2017, Hyderabad.
3. “India’s problems and prospects in the management of north west borders GIS based approach”, National seminar India’s northwest border: a strategic perspective 3-4 Feb. 2017, Bhonsla Military College, Nashik, Maharashtra.
4. ‘Israeli Technology and its application to India’, Heads of Federation of Indo-Israel Chambers of Commerce Seminar, Tel Aviv, Israel,September 6th 2016.
5. 'India 101' Lecture and presentation to the new (International) Israel-Asia Fellows, Oct. 13, 2014 Israel Asia Center -2014, Jerusalem, Israel.